Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Dear Me" reflective letter

During the past few weeks in the focus inquiry class we were talking about vacation cutting and FGM, especially on the subject that deals with whether it should be considered illegal in the United States of America. After finishing the essay I was trying to find out what was the most difficult, challenging, frustrating, educational, thought-provoking, and enlightening for me at that time.
The most difficult thing that I faced in the FGM and vacation cutting subject was the integration of all three thinkers Herskovits, Rachels, and Harris into the matter, as they were doing research about morality at a different time specially Herskovits.
The most challenging thing for me was to understand and integrate Harris speech in to the essay, also Herskovits’s quotes was a little hard to find as he mostly used examples rather that direct points as Rachels did.
The enlightening thing was Rachels approach to the consequences of cultural relativism as he showed examples of actions that were universally recognized as being wrong/right.
The most frustrating thing though was Harris speech when he questioned voluntary actions by the individuals and he viewed them as in forced actions rather than voluntary, because in his opinion that the community puts so much pressure on the members who live in it.
And for thought-provoking it was Harris talk about voluntary actions and Rachels talk about the consequences of accepting every action done by others.
But in the end there were many things educational such as to know about the different practices in other communities and to take a peek at the three thinker’s opinion.
I think that for the most part I will remember Rachels and Harris thoughts when I am at my 30th age, as they are the most recent and have the most critical thinking attached to them.
I still have many questions that I will search for its answers, such as what about religion and people who choose to follow religion are their actions not considered voluntary?!!!!!!!!!!!, and many many other questions, I believe that I am a different thinker than Harris and Herskovits but I am more like Rachels, and the reason for that is that Herskovits ideas are nice but as Rachels said not all actions should be accepted, while Harris was an extreme example of universal morals and in his opinion all actions can be explained by other cultures which I strongly disagree with.


No comments:

Post a Comment